Tablets are mobile devices typically defined by portability, touchscreens, and intuitive design. These devices have become extremely popular for entertainment, schoolwork, and even office use. One area that has seen an increase in tablet use is artwork and graphic design.
Tablets for artwork
Graphics tablets have specific features which lend themselves to photo retouching, drawing, and other forms of art. Most importantly, these devices make use of an electronic pen which is used for drawing on the tablet.
The results are typically displayed on a connected computer monitor (except for a few products which will be discussed later). These pens can also act as a mouse, with buttons for left and right clicking.
Newer versions of graphics tablets feature touch screens, which allow users to more easily zoom in on details of their work, change settings and applications, and use more versatile shortcuts.
Another important feature is pressure sensitivity, which allows artists to press the pen harder onto the tablet to change brush size and other details.
Benefits of drawing tablets
The benefit of such technology is that it is essentially the electronic equivalent of drawing on paper. It can be very difficult and time consuming to draw with a mouse, so the pen is a convenient and useful technology for artists.
It also circumvents the scanning process; instead of drawing on paper and then scanning the result into a computer, the drawing tablet is able to directly deliver the finished artwork to the files of the computer. Most tablets worth purchasing will function on both Windows and Mac operating systems.
Obviously, this is a market dominated by one brand. There are other options available, such as the Huion on this list, but Wacom is the leader in this industry for a reason. The tablets featured on this list are defined by great design, convenient features, and precise drawing capability.
Wacom Intuos Art Pen and Touch Graphics Tablet
The Wacom Intuos Art Pen and Touch Digital Graphics Tablet can be one of the essential components in the arsenal of a graphic designer.
This device allows cartoonists and painters to create their art pieces with ease on digital platforms using their favorite designing software.
It provides the high precision and accuracy required while drawing which can’t be achieved using a standard mouse.
This sensor-equipped tablet features a stylus pen that can be used to create, draw or edit any sketch or illustration easily.
- The drawing area of the tablet measures at 8.5″x5.3″ which is quite similar to previous Wacom tablets.
- The top of the tablet has rubber surface allowing a better grip of the device while carrying it around, and at the bottom, there are rubber stoppers which restrict the movement of the tablet while working.
- It also comes with security lock feature at the top.
- There are 2048 sensor levels present in the tablet surface which gives users an effective range of operation.
- The pressure points are uniformly distributed across the tablet and are also nicely calibrated, providing a smooth writing and drawing experience.
- Users can apply variable pressures to get the desired line width while working.
- This tablet features a multi-touch surface that allows users to use it aa typical touchpad.
- They can use motion gestures with one or two fingers to control the mouse functions like navigation, scroll down, etc.
- They can also use gesture controls alongside the pen.
- That way, users can simultaneously zoom in and out or rotate the drawings while working.
- Users can switch on and off the gesture motion using the switch at the top.
- The new Intuos pen is thinner and lighter. Its nib provides much fiction with the drawing surface while working which gives a feel of working with a real pencil.
- The tablet also comes with additional nibs for replacement in case the current one is no longer usable.
- The Graphics Tablet has four customizable buttons that program through the Wacom software.
- These buttons operate for several types of functions which would save the users a reasonable amount of time.
- The buttons would not have to alter the settings by going through their design software repeatedly.
- The Intuos Pen also features two customizable buttons on its side.
- By default, one of the buttons is set to emulate the right-click of the mouse.
- However, it’s setting also can be changed using the software.
- The tablet provides adequate drawing surface allowing free movement of the wrist and hands.
- The Intuos pen is lighter and thinner than previous versions.
- The tablet comes bundled with Corel-Painter Essentials drawing & painting software.
- It can be used in place of a mouse and covers only a small area of the table.
- Its surface has a grainy texture giving the feel of drawing on a real paper.
- Unlike previous versions, the pen does not have an eraser at the top.
- Function keys at the top of the tablet could have been at the sides, giving users better access while drawing.
- Because of separate drawing surface, it might take some time to get familiar.
Wacom Intuos Painting Tablet provides an excellent choice for graphic designers who don’t want to throw a large sum of money on their equipment.
This tablet comes with all the essential features that are necessary for any digital work, making it one of the best choices in this segment.
Wacom Intuos Photo Pen and Touch Editing Tablet
If you want to bring your pictures to life or want to create cards, images, photo books or crafts, the Wacom Intuos Photo tablet will come in handy.
By combining multi-touch capabilities and a pressure-sensitive pen, this device makes working on photos simple, and fun.
The multi-touch surface allows you to use intuitive gestures to scroll as well as position and zoom your photos while the ExpressKeys places your favorite shortcuts at your fingertips.
The pen provides a good feel and natural comfort when working.
- Multi-touch Surface
This allows the user to use multiple gestures to operate the tablet.
- There is a switch to turn it on and off as some users may find the capability distracting like accidentally activating the zoom feature with your hand while working.
- The surface has an area of around 6.0 by 3.7″ or 15.2 by 9.4 centimeters, and the gestures can be utilized on every part.
- Shortcut Keys
- These allow you to customize four express keys to match your preferred shortcut functions while editing like copy paste’ or undo.
- This is a neat feature although many users still prefer to use keyboard keys of their PCs to make these shortcuts
- The tablet detects pen-pressure and can then use this information to create visually stunning brush effects or variations in opacity.
- The tablet has about 2048 levels of pressure sensitivity (LPI), and the pen is without a battery as well.
- With the stylus’ natural feel and comfort while in use, you can make amazing photo edits by controlling the pressure you exert on the product’s surface
- Included Software
- The product comes with downloadable software keys printed on the inside of its box, and you can easily see it after unboxing the product.
- Editing software for Mac in the Macphun Pro package includes Snapheal, Tonality, Intensify, and Noiseless.
- For windows the Corel AfterShot Pro and Corel PaintShop Pro are available.
- Technical Details
- The device from the brand Wacom’ features no operating system and weighs about 12.8 ounces or about 0.36 kg.
- The product dimensions are 8.2 by 0.4 by 6.7 inches, and IT comes in color black.
- Your PC should have a USB port, Disc drive, internet connection, and an operating system which can be MacOS 10.8.5( or any other later version) or Windows 7 and more following versions.
• One can make astonishing images and photos with the ease of a pen/stylus
• It turns your PC into an editing station and replaces your mouse.
• The pen is battery-free, and its pressure sensitivity helps draw better.
• The device comes prepackaged with a photo editing pack.
• The ExpressKeys make accessing shortcut functions quick.
• The device features a long USB cable, and one has to buy a wireless accessory kit separately.
• The stylus is light and slim, and one might think it feels cheap in your hand.
• This device is quite expensive and not affordable to many people.
In conclusion, the Intuos pen tablet is a remarkable device with a lot of features that give compelling reasons why you should invest in it.
If your workflow involves you retouching your images, you will appreciate the value this device gives you regarding capabilities.
Wacom Intuos Comic Pen and Touch Drawing Tablet
The Wacom Intuos Comic tablet allows you to create animation, manga or comics.
The device comes with capabilities for sketching as well as adding ink frames and improving the quality of your work through effects and digital editing.
You can even design the book or page layouts. The device comes with downloadable software to aid you in your creative work or hobby.
The product has a reasonable price, is multi-touch enabled and suited for beginner comic artists or the casual hobbyist.
This device arrives with a fantastic and downloadable comic software bundle.
The software consists of Anime-Studio Debut and Clip-Studio Paint Pro that will let you have a go at creating your manga heroes and their comic adventures.
The software runs on both mac and window PCs.
- Pressure Sensitivity
- Designed with tactile sensor technology that allows the surface to detect the pressure you apply on the tablet with the tip of your stylus.
- When sketching and adding outlines, the Intuos Comic can help you create stunning pieces of work with stroke opacity variations and brush effects.
- Since it’s not the pro version, the pen is light and lacks an eraser. It features 1024 pressure sensitivity, which is enough for hobbyists.
- Express Keys
- This device features four ExpressKeys which by default are set as the modifier keys for you.
- They are programmable, and you can set them to the shortcut functions you want.
- Additionally, you can still access these functions with the keyboard, but many users of this product prefer the convenience of ExpressKeys
- The product has a multi-touch surface meaning it responds to hand movements on the surface.
- You can pan, rotate or zoom your artwork by using familiar gestures on the surface.
- The grid pattern of the surface provides you an active space to draw, and it also matches to your screen size.
- This active area spans about 6.0 by 3.7 inches.
- The stylus lacks tilt sensitivity, but it’s designed for beginners, this won’t be an issue.
- The pen is well-stabilized with 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity which is enough for an entry-level tablet.
- The pen has no eraser, and it is light.
- It has a textured grip allowing you to hold it for longer.
- Even better, it works well on the active area and glides the tablet’s surface with no lag.
- It is affordable and a good option for those working on a budget.
- Excellent performance with no significant lags in controlling the stylus.
- It comes with a helpful and useful software bundle.
- The specific keys allow you to have modifier shortcuts closer to your tip.
- Extended capabilities in that it features a multi-touch drawing surface.
- The wireless accessory kit comes separate and is quite expensive. • For many, the 1024 pressure sensitivity of the product is too low for them.
- There is no eraser or stand for the stylus pen
To sum it up, the Intuos comic is a capable device perfect for people on budget or beginners.
This product is designed for anyone in search of a tablet to draw amateur comics and offers a superb cost-to-value ratio.
Huion H610 Pro Graphics Tablet
The Huion H610 Pro Graphic Drawing Tablet with Carrying Bag and Glove offers a large drawing surface with a “paper” texture feel – giving artists one of the most realistic drawing experiences on a digital tablet.
The stylish-looking tablet has a range of features to make creating digital artwork a breeze – from customizable buttons and shortcut hotkeys to the 2048-levels of pressure sensitive pen.
With a drawing glove to reduce friction and a carrying bag to protect the H610 Pro when you are on the move, you’ll have everything you need to get started on your next project straightaway.
- 10-by-6.25 inches large drawing area
- Improved papery, anti-slip textured surface
- 8 customizable buttons
- 16 hotkeys
- Can be used by both left and right-handed artists
- Lightweight, comfort-designed rechargeable pen
- 2048 levels of pressure sensitivity
- Lightweight design
- Black drawing glove
- Carrying bag
- Compatible with Windows XP/Vista/7/8/8.1/10 and Mac OS X 10.8.0/later versions
- One-year warranty
- The large drawing surface gives artists plenty of room to create and use natural drawing movements
- Huion’s improved papery-texture tablet surface not only feels as close to paper as you can get, but also prevents the pen from slipping or sliding around, giving you more control
- The eight customizable buttons on the side of the table, and 16 hotkeys on the top, make functions like erasing, zooming, and scrolling quick and easy
- Huion’s tablet is ambidextrous and can be used easily by both left and right-handed artists
- The lightweight, rechargeable pen has been designed to be comfortable to hold and has 2048 levels of pressure sensitivity for precision drawing.
- After two hours of charging, the pen will last for 800 hours. The pen also has two programmable buttons for quick shortcuts.
- The lightweight, thin design of the tablet makes it easy to carry around, and with the carrying bag, you can protect your tablet on the move
- The included drawing glove reduces hand-tablet friction
- No touch screen function
- Does not come with any design/drawing software included
The Huion H610 Pro Graphic Drawing Tablet with Carrying Bag and Glove is a great graphic pen tablet or anyone looking for a budget or entry-level option.
With a large drawing surface and a highly realistic drawing experience, it is one of the best tablets at this price.
The Huion H610 Pro comes with both a carrying case for easy transport and a drawing glove to reduce friction.
Inside the box you’ll also get a pen holder with four pen nibs and one removal tool included, a USB cable for connecting the tablet to your PC or Mac, a USB charging cable for the rechargeable pen, and a user manual.
Huion New 1060 Plus Graphics Tablet
Are you looking for an affordable large, graphics tablet? The New-Huion-1060Plus is one of the best drawing tablets for professional artists.
It is a beautiful graphics tablet that has several helpful ExpressKeys and 16-hotkeys.The level of pressure-sensitivity is 2048 and has an excellent active area.
It is one of the best graphics-tablet if you are looking for one with no need of a keyboard.
- Designed in card-reader and comes with an 8GB micro-SD card.
- The availability of the Micro-SD card makes it more appropriate to save your artwork or transfer from one device to another.
- Also, the card reader supports up-to 64GB SD-cards.
- Has 12-ExpressKeys, and 16-hotkeys – Availability of 12-physical ExpressKeys and 16-hotkeys on the top of the tablet make your work comfortable and convenient.
- This function helps you to enjoy your creativity and improve your working efficiency.
- Better performance and user experience – The New Huion-1060Plus is an updated version. It is designed for better linearity, bringing better user experience.
- More portable – no more losing your pen.
- You will not lose your pen because the pen carrier is added to the pad.
- You can now store your pen in one place.
- And to prevent your pen from being damaged when carrying it in a bag, there is a pen cap.
- Resolution – has high resolution, ensuring low distortion, giving accurate and smooth lines.
- Supports PC Windows 7 & above, and Mac 10.11 & above. It is also compatible with several drawing tablets that include SAI, PS, CorelPainter, SketchBook Pro, Illustrator, Manga Studio and many others.
- Active drawing area – 10*6.25-inches.
- 2048 pressure-sensitivity level.
- Rechargeable pen
- The tablet has 12-ExpressKeys.
- The amount of keys is more than any other drawing tablet on the market.
- Also, it has more hot-keys on the top.
- Has a rechargeable pen
- Free pen charging cable
- Need of a keyboard due to the availability of several ExpressKeys.
- The driver software might not work correctly.
Most people are praising the new Huion-1060Plus for the perfect number of Expresskeys.It is a good tablet for artists looking for graphics tablet where you might not need to use a keyboard.
It is also affordable and well-designed.
Finding the right tablet
Luckily, there are a myriad of products to choose from. This may be a daunting task, but it certainly allows for users of all levels to find the tablet best suited to them.
Beginners should look to tablets such as the Huion New 1060 Plus for an inexpensive tablet that will give them the experience and confidence needed to get the most out of higher-end models.
Intermediate users have many options available, depending on their ability and objectives. For the hobbyist, the Intuos Art, Draw, Photo, or Comic are excellent options which feature good sensitivity and features for a modest price.
The Intuos5 is the highest quality product that an intermediate should consider, as professionals will also enjoy this device.
Professional level graphic designers should opt for the unique and outstanding Ciniq 22HD, if the price is manageable. The ability to draw directly on the screen is an asset that cannot be overstated.
Along with this feature, it contains the highest level of convenience with 16 express keys, a multi-touch screen, and touch strips on either side.
Ultimately, there are three factors which determine the best drawing tablet for any person.
Firstly, the objectives of the individual will greatly narrow down the products available. While there are many mid-range options, professionals require only the highest quality. Secondly, price ranges must be taken into consideration, as better features always come with a higher cost.
Lastly, individual preferences will attract some users to touch screens, battery powered pens, and tablet monitors, while some may prefer using the pen instead of the fingers, magnetically operated pens, and tablets separate from the screen. The products listed above are all high quality, and will certainly satisfy the needs of any artist.
Drawing tablets are fantastic tools for professional, intermediate, and beginner artists. They offer a superior experience when compared with drawing using a mouse.
Further, the convenience of drawing directly onto a computer, as opposed to drawing on paper and scanning after, is hugely important in a fast-past society. No professional artist should be without one.